Questions to Ask a Contractor
Questions to Ask a Contractor
To help you make this very important decision of which remodeler to choose to renovate your home, we have prepared a list of questions that can help you decide.
Click the link below to print “Questions to ask contractors”. You may use this check list during your personal meetings to ensure that you have asked all the important questions.
Questions to Ask Remodeling Contractors
Questions to ask in a phone interview:
- Do you have an office location? If yes, what is your address?
- Are you properly licensed in this state?
Be sure to verify the license number with the State of Florida. Confirm that they give you their contractor’s license, not just their occupational license.
- Will you pull all necessary permits?
- Do you carry general liability and worker’s compensation insurance?
- Do you offer a written warranty on all workmanship?
- Can you give me homeowner and supplier references?
- Will you provide me with a written contract that guarantees price, clearly spells out exactly what you will do, identifies what your price includes and excludes and defines a payment schedule?
Questions to ask in personal meeting
- Are you a remodel specialist?
- What percentage of your business is repeat or referral based?
- How many projects like mine have you completed in the last year or two?
- How long is your warranty?
- Do you offer a fixed-price contract?
- How many years have you been in the remodeling business?
- What is your process of managing jobs?
- How often will you be at my job site?
- Who will be in charge of my job? May I meet this person?
- How is daily communication handled?
- Do you offer homeowners any wholesale discounts on materials?
- Are you part of a design-build team and how could that benefit my project?
- Are professional interior design and architectural design services available for my job?
Making the Final Cut
Once you have had all of your questions answered by the contractor, we recommend that you follow through with questioning the contractor’s clients:
- Call the contractor’s references
- Inspect the contractor’s work
You might also be interested in:
Check back with us often for additional remodeling tips, or contact us today at 407-260-8077 to discuss your goals and get our expert advice on remodeling!
From Our Blog
Jonathan McGrath Construction Named a Best Of Houzz 2016 Winners
Annual Survey and Analysis of Community of Over 35 Million Monthly Users Reveals the Top-Rated Home Remodeling Professionals and Most... View Article
Greater Orlando Builders Association Major Achievement Awards Ceremony – JMC receives Top website honors
ORLANDO, FL (September 19, 2015) – The Greater Orlando Builders Association held its annual Sales, Marketing and Design Awards Ceremony... View Article
JMC wins Whole House Renovation Award at Greater Orlando Builders Association Parade of Homes™
Jonathan McGrath Construction was recognized as the first place winner in the Remodel Showcase for a Whole House Renovation under... View Article